Sunday 8 April 2012

Flipped classroom

#ukedchat on thursday night has got me thinking. I've got a lot going on already really, but I can't resist trying this flipped teaching when I get back after Easter. I can see huge benefits - particularly for the G&T students. My mixed ability (B-E) year 10s are about to start generating electricity - hmm, I wish - but you know what I mean. So, before i do the whole steam engine demo lesson I'm going to set a homework that involves watching a youtube video about generating electricity and maybe sketching a power station. I'm thinking this will help the top students because their focus in lesson can then be on the evaluation etc of electricity generation rather than the process. The others will get good consolidation and the chance to teach other students - a great way to learn. I can get a student or students to explain the steam engine demo instead of me. Maybe. It's a bit of a gamble. Homework is generally dragged from them but you can watch a youtube video on your phone - so maybe I'll have more success than with traditional homeworks.........comments welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I like your style! Great idea to experiment with this sort of thing. I'd be very interested to hear about how it goes.

    ReplyDelete