Thursday 5 April 2012

Current projects

So I'm currently working on 2 projects - an action research project and some reflective writing. The reflective writing is for the first part of my MEd, but both projects are based around the transfer of maths skills, by secondary students, to science (or the lack of!!)
Since my first weeks in training I've come across so many students who cannot make use of their maths skills in science. There seem to be several diverse reasons. In my classroom I'm trying to tackle some of them.
My action research is looking at using 'help cards' in science which show how to use the maths in science. On the reverse side are the basic maths skills required shown as they are taught in Maths. I've also surveyed the students about their thoughts on maths in science using survey monkey. Not enough results to report back yet but will do.
The other areas I'll be looking to change will be the links between the departments. We're a friendly co-operative bunch but there is definitely room for increased links - particularly in our schemes of work and planning.
If anyone would like share any observations from their own classrooms on the transfer of skills between departments, I'd love to hear from you. Equally, anything you've tried that has helped the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment